Thursday 22 September 2011

Kanye West & Jay-Z - No Church In The Wild

Watch The Throne is the most epic release that came out this summer, bringing together two gods of rap.  I don't have anything against Jay-Z, but I'm admittedly a bigger fan of his "Dirt Off Your Shoulders" days.  Still, he and Kanye work together like your regular laundry detergent and a stain booster.  I finally got my hands on the album about two weeks ago, and have been religiously listening since.  So religiously, in fact, that the first track "No Church In The Wild" has become a hymn if you could put it that way.  The new disc is full of impressive rhymes, but you know how things work.  You've got to start things off with a bang.

"No Church In The Wild" is subdued, actually.  You could probably guess, it contains the elements I look for in a good rap song, and it's stripped down to the near bare minimum too.  There are the interesting background beats; a beautiful throb of what sounds like travelling music, and lyrics that'll make your head spin...in a good way...

Sunglasses and Advil, last night was mad real
Sun coming up, 5 a.m., I wonder if they got cabs still?
Thinking 'bout the girl in all leopard
Who was rubbing the wood like Kiki Shepherd
Two tattoos one read "No Apologies"
The other said "Love is Cursed by Monogamy"


The things about bringing two rappers together for an album is that it can be a hit or miss.  I can't say that I'm a fan of Bad Meets Evil.  Kanye and Jay-Z don't do anything unnecessary in their pairing; they just make great music.  I can't ask for much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment