Wednesday 28 September 2011

Lady Gaga - Yoü And I

I suppose there is no introduction needed for an artist such as Mother Monster, the one and only Lady Gaga.  I'd like to think that I was the first person in my town to get my hands on her second full-length album, Born This Way, after camping outside of Wal-Mart on Victoria Day until the doors opened, but we'll never know for sure.  Point is, Born This Way is a brilliant pop album with few filler songs and a basketful of stellar tracks.  I've long been debating what the best of the best could be, going back and forth between several of the songs included on the album.  Perhaps the title goes to the little song that could, the underdog..."Yoü And I."

"Yoü And I" is what you'd get if pop and country got into a fight, with pop squeezing the heart guitar riffs right out of country's throat.  This passes as a romantic ballad in Gaga's eyes, and listening to the lyrics closely, you understand most of what she's getting at (admittedly, some of her words still catch me off guard).  It's something about lonely nights and the lipstick on your face, something about my cool Nebraska guy...  Leave it to the new queen of pop to bridge genres in a way that creates a new genre.  Yes, it's possible.  Gaga isn't going anywhere, thankfully.  I'd like to say that I'm already anticipating what she'll come out with next, though a bit fearful as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment