Saturday 24 September 2011

Carrie Underwood - Wasted

In honour of my first trip to a country bar last night, I offer a track from one of my favourite country artists.  Though it's not a genre that I'm a general fan of, there are a few acts that I love just as much as the hardcore metal groups or rap duos.  Among them, Faith Hill, Alison Krauss, some Taylor Swift...and the queen herself, Miss (or really, Mrs.) Carrie Underwood.  She proved that winning American Idol really doesn't mean you'll be flipping burgers in two years.  I commend her for taking the opportunity to become a superstar.  From her debut album, Some Hearts, comes a handful of gems, including the first track "Wasted." 

"Wasted" is a heart breaker about alcohol, love, and redemption.  Country bread and butter.  Carrie doesn't keep it cookie-cutter though.  With a little orchestral sound thrown in, you've got a melancholy song that, preformed in a certain way, doesn't have to be country.  It doesn't hurt that her voice could make angels weep either.  With this magical formula for success, you've got someone who will stand to endure the ever-changing music industry.  Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment