Sunday 11 March 2012

Deftones - Lotion + Dead and Divine - Lotion

When I missed seeing Dead and Divine in Kitchener last time they were in town (much to my dismay, believe me).  But the band made up for it by releasing a cover of the Deftones "Lotion," which immediately grew on me.  Obviously, I needed to hear the original as well, and was unsure of what I would hear.  But I was pleasantly surprised.  The Deftones' original was closer to D&D's version than I thought it would be, with its differences, of course.  It's a little more gritty, especially the vocals, and has a touch of thrash that I quite like.

Quite, indeed.

D&D's cover of "Lotion" is done their way, in their style, and I can't find a valid point to argue against anything they do.  It does echo the Deftones' version, but still has a touch of unique flair.  And they kept a tiny bit of that thrash, which doesn't hurt.  Mr. Tobin remains in his prime and up to par with Chino Moreno here.  Sure, bands have their own music to play, but why not borrow a page from another collective once in a while?  Variety is the spice of life, after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment