Sunday 25 March 2012

Visions of Atlantis - Maria Magdalena

I realized recently that my love of metal has taken me in a direction that I never thought I'd take: the symphonic route.  Nightwish, obvs.  Then there's the rare goodies like Edenbridge, Katra, and today's featured group, Visions of Atlantis.  This collective is Austrian in origin and has gone through a large number of lineup changes over the years, but who cares about the drama behind the music?  We're here to skate to one song and one song only.  Couldn't resist that, I've been listening to a lot of Kanye again.  But today's song to skate to?  "Maria Magdalena."

Though Nicole Bogner may not be around anymore (rest in peace, girl), her powerhouse of a symphonic metal voice lives on in "Maria Magdalena."  This chorus.  Drooling.  Visions of Atlantis is a bit like Nightwish in the sense that they use complimenting male/female vocals, but it works for them, and they don't overuse it.  This song is all Nicole's.  I have to say the guitar work is just okay, but doesn't distract from the vocals.  "Maria Magdalena" is a little operatic, a little power metal, and really awesome.  'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment