Thursday 1 March 2012

Fall Out Boy - XO

The thing about Fall Out Boy is that they aren't very good anymore.  Sorry, it's true.  I was in the eighth grade when I bought From Under The Cork Tree, a mediocre album, really.  I think Infinity On High was their best effort, but their first entry into my CD collection has their best song, and I'll give them that.  The band still has potential if they get rid of Pete Wentz and let Patrick Stump shine a little brighter, but that's beside the point.  "XO" is something different from the band.  It's something...good.

"XO" is a fun, let subtly dark song.  The opening is an interesting mix on continual chords and monotonous vocals, though the first verse opens up the true pace of the song.  And the melodic chorus?  It's been nearly six years, but I still drool each time.  I'm a fan of most of the lyrics too, like: I hope you choked and crashed your car, hey tear catcher, that's all that you are, ever were, from the start, I swear I say...  "XO" is proof that even bands no longer musically important can still have a gem or two hidden within the bad stuff.  Everyone is good at something, right?

To the love, I left my conscience
Pressed between the pages
Of the bible in the drawer
What did it ever do for me, I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment