Thursday 15 March 2012

James Vincent McMorrow - We Don't Eat

The thing I like about James Vincent McMorrow (JVM?) is that he sounds like Bon Iver, but sounds better than Bon Iver.  Well, before you start screaming at me through your screen, Bon Iver is a good artist, but JVM is more of a fave to me.  You haven't heard anything until you've heard is cover of Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair."  But today we're here to look at "We Don't Eat,' a solemn piano-laden track from the Irish folkster that is much like his other work: brilliant.

"We Don't Eat" is a tad solemn, but has JVM's formula to success: thoughtful lyrics, vocals that haunt my dreams in a good way, and a delicate piano that also regularly worms its way into my subconscious.  With a wonderful chorus: we don't eat until your father's at the table, we don't drink the devil's turned to dust piano-folk becomes a genre that infuses two things: delicateness, and power.  "We Don't Eat" rises in the latter to a fantastic finish.  I kind of want to hear Bon Iver perform this, just to get a better comparison between he and James.  I can't help but wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment