Wednesday 28 November 2012

Mumford & Sons - Broken Crown + Lover Of The Light

Let's flash back to a few years ago.  My sister was raving about a band called Mumford & Sons and told me that I needed to download a few songs.  I thought they were good.  Not great.  Good.  Now let's stay in the present.  A very good friend of mine told me to listen to their new "Broken Crown," insisting it could be associated with Loki and the plot for Thor.  We're fangirls, what can I say?  A few days later I came across "Lover of the Light," from the same new album, Babel, simply because I heard Idris Elba was in the video.  Both songs would blow me out of the water, and still do.

"Broken Crown" is banjo-fueled, somber and has a rising power I like to hear in music.  If you're going to be acoustic, take full advantage of the power that instrument holds.  While the lyrics do remind me of Thor, it's the power the band puts into the last half of the song that makes "Broken Crown" a folk masterpiece.  "Lover of the Light" is a little different, and the music video makes me want to curl into a ball and weep for hours.  It has Mumford & Sons' acoustic power, and is simply a masterpiece, about seeing things you may not be able to see.  Yeah, I know, I'm going deep today, but that's fine.  Literally, "Lover of the Light" is the best music video I've seen this year.  Get on that.  And then listen to "Broken Crown."




No comments:

Post a Comment