Tuesday 27 November 2012

Diamond Rings - Put Me On

It's getting around that time of year when I have to stop buying CDs and tell others which ones to buy me for Christmas.  Luckily, I left one off of the list on purpose, mainly because I couldn't wait until December twenty-fifth to get my hands on it.  Free Dimensional is a fantastic effort by Toronto synth monger Diamond Rings; I've even got my roommates hooked on John O'Regan's latest work.  There are no fillers on the album, only masterpieces, and "Put Me On" may be one of the most enjoyable (it was made free on itunes too, after all).

"Put Me On" is subdued synth, which goes right up my alley.  Diamonds Rings, with a voice that low, reminds me of a modern Billy Idol or David Bowie, transporting the listening to a far off land of electric guitar and keyboard chords.  Put me on, put me on, come on will be stuck in your head, I promise you that.  Now I regret saying bad things about "Runaway Love" when I featured the remix several weeks ago.  Diamond Rings is the future of the synth-indie-electronic genres, in a very attractive package.  Bowie would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment