Sunday 6 October 2013

Disturbed - Pain Redefined

I remember when I bought Ten Thousand Fists, my first Disturbed album in a collection that would soon grow very rapidly.  There was something about it that simply spoke to me, just as the band's music still continues to do to this day.  If it wasn't for this album, who knows when I would have gotten into Disturbed?  I first saw the "Land of Confusion" video on TV, fell in love, heard "Stricken" by chance, and fell in love enough that I got the album with money from my tutoring job.  Who knew that the shiniest gem of them all was waiting for me there?

I have fallen again, this is the end.

"Pain Redefined" simply sounds like nothing else.  It's indicative Disturbed, the kind of song that you hear and think yeah, this is what nu metal is supposed to sound like.  Mr. Draiman slays it with vocals, sounding a bit like he used to on the good tracks of The Sickness, and the instrumental work is spot-on with a hint of technical-sounding samples.  It gives "Pain Redefined" a little (just a smidge) flavor of 80's rock that we can see in the original "Land of Confusion."  The lyrics are freaking amazing too; many MSN statuses came from this, and back then, that's how I knew a song was amazing.  I still know, with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment