Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Orb feat. Lee Scratch Perry - Ball of Fire

I know that I've been dragging my feet through October, but I'll be damned if I don't post today, because I know that I can, and I don't want to keep things like "Ball of Fire" to myself anymore.  Here we have two great things coming together for something that may never have happened if you asked me ten years ago.  Ambient and reggae made a love child, and this is what it is.  We take The Orb, an ambient electronic duo that's a big name in the electro community, and add Lee Scratch Perry, legendary reggae great.  Together, there's no stopping them.

"Ball of Fire" comes off of their collaborative effort The Orbserver In The Star House, and that's an album I really need to listen to now that it's come up.  "Ball of Fire" may sound like dark reggae at first, but there are many layers to this one thanks to The Orb.  Lee Scratch Perry's doing this strange spoken-word-but-singing shtick that Ke$ha could never understand (sorry, my love), and it's all to something that sounds like a dark and twisted version of Rio's carnival, but slowed down and tripped up.  "Ball of Fire" takes place in a strange world, where genres blend and nothing is as it seems.  Well, this seems pretty good.  In fact, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment