Tuesday 22 October 2013

Moist - Ophelia

Ah, sometimes I miss late-90s-early-2000s alternative enough that I have to watch a really bad teen movie to listen to it.  Well, not anymore, though.  A while ago I found the very first Big Shiny Tunes album at Value Village, which I bought mostly for the nostalgia and also for it being the first.  Until I bought that album, I had never heard of Moist, a four-piece Canadian group that is apparently back again after a record thirteen-year absence.  Well, well, would you look at the things you learn from Wikipedia searches.  Since buying that Big Shiny Tunes album, I also bought Creature and Silver, and from the former comes the great "Ophelia."

"Ophelia" is some lovely late-90s alternative, which reaches its peak at each instance of I'm letting Ophelia die.  The lyrical work is a little dark upon research, but understand that it's a bit of a sour love story, tinged with regret and a but of yearning for the past as well.  The guitar work is solid...some of the best I've heard from this era of alternative music, and obviously, we have to have a collection psychedelic sounds before the guitar solo in the bridge.  "Ophelia" is pure nostalgia for my generation, and by god, what beautiful nostalgia this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment