Thursday 31 October 2013

Matenrou Opera - Otoshiana no Soko wa Konna Sekai

Last year I didn't really do anything spooky for my Halloween post, so this will probably be as spooky as it gets.  After all, what is more terrifying than visual kei?  I kid, because I do really enjoy today's selection, and wasn't really aware it was visual kei until I did some preliminary research the other day.  For those out of the loop, visual kei is a genre/movement in Japanese music that takes pride in being elaborate and androgynous.  They're doing a good job of it too, because I'm 95% the band is all-male and damn Sono sounds like a beautiful woman.  Without knowing what they look like, all you get is this strange variety of symphonic metal that comes through in "Otoshiana no Soko wa Konna Sekai."

"Otoshiana no Soko wa Konna Sekai" is what Nightwish would sound like if they were Japanese and if Floor was a boy.  That's how you can start out with this one, because it's complex to boot.  I don't think of it as visual kei, but an exotic subgenre of the symphonic subgenre.  Also, I have no idea what they're singing about, but it all just sounds amazing regardless.  The guitar work is stellar as well...something you'd see from Epica or even Sirenia.  It won't be long before you're saying Otoshiana no Soko wa Konna Sekai without having to check if you're saying it right.  Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to see what else visual kei can offer me.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment