Tuesday 15 October 2013

Protest The Hero - C'est La Vie

It's been enough time since the last Protest The Hero post, so it's that time again.  Their new album release is fast approaching, but I'm still listening to Scurrilous until my heart is content.  I still remember finding it by surprise at Wal-Mart a few years ago, wondering why I'd been so out of the loop that I didn't know they had a third album coming out.  This year I'm on the ball, though.  I'll be the first person in town to own Volition.

"C'est La Vie" jumped out to me at first because it's the first track on the album, but what an opener, let me tell you that.  It's some coarse and crazy progressive metal, perhaps a mathier sound that what you could find on Fortress, but still refined enough that it's not over the top.  It's a complex track, but when is anything from Protest The Hero ever exactly what you think it is?  The lyrical content is suicidal in nature, with lines like stepped off a building to find some concrete evidence that he'd ever make an impact (holy shit, that's good) and stepped off a platform and he briefly made the news and even stepped off a bridge so he could make a splash.  My highlight is Mr. Walker's gritty another lamb that chose the slaughter.  In a nutshell, "C'est La Vie" is a strong dark ditty that shows PTH's growth as a band.  I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment