Wednesday 26 September 2012

Explode - Nelly Furtado

Miss Furtado used to be something different.  Frankly speaking, I'm not a fan of the club-number-pumping thing that exists on the music scene now; it was her arty pop from the early-to-mid 2000's that sung my tune.  Still, I've never been more than a casual fan.  I was actually disappointed when my parents bought me her 2003 album Folklore.  Some it did grow on me, though.  "Try" is good.  "Powerless" isn't too bad.  "Explode," on the other hand, is the sleeper hit of the album.  It's the track that pop suckers won't go for, but it's one that was can all appreciate for its artistry.

"Explode" chronicles the darker side of teenage life (Vera's face burned as a memory of bedroom fun, with a lighter and some hairspray smoking in the girls room and we never thought that we'd get caught up, stuck in the teenage waste).  The lyrics are good, but it's the structure that gets me.  It's planned chaos, with quick verses over looping noise and a chorus and bridge that are swoon-worthy.  It goes to show that even the most commercialized artists still have their folky roots, and sometimes the roots are better than whatever's growing on the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment