Wednesday 12 September 2012

Harakiri - Serj Tankian

Well here we are.  A bit of time has passed since I featured Serj's masterful "Cornucopia" from his latest Harakiri.  That was the track that first stood out to me, but today we look at something else.  The title track of the album kind of stuck up on me one afternoon.  I think it was during a long car ride, and with my headphones in, I wondered what song is this? and how did I not notice this before?  Blame my short attention span and attraction to peppy numbers like the album opener.  "Harakiri" is the sleeper hit here.

"Harakiri" makes use of something also present in "Cornucopia," which is a slight alternative tinge to Serj's usual experimental-progressive sound.  But I like it.  You've still got the old Serj in there, don't worry.  What sets this apart from the rest of the album is the feels.  You know, the feels.  There's a different kind of emotion in Harakiri with they crowned the sun and they were drowned by the only ones with the help of some backing vocalists.  Sadness?  A little, but it's a little more along the lines of regret.  The whole end-of-time atmosphere of "Harakiri" is what makes it golden.  How golden?  You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment