Sunday 30 September 2012

The Hard - Freddie Gibbs feat. Dana Williams

I've mentioned a penchant for Indiana rapper Freddie Gibbs before.  I know I have.  Now I have everything I could ask for in the form of a stellar mixtape.  Baby Face Killa is free, people, so why don't you have it yet?  It's a good mix with a lot of variety, but the best in my eyes is "The Hard" with Dana Williams (daughter of David, I should point out).  It reminds me of an updated (and hella good) Ja Rule-Ashanti duet; that's the best way I can put it, unfortunately.  Freddie's raps are deep and aggressive, perfectly contrasted by Miss Williams' angelic croons.  "The Hard" isn't a club-thumper, but more of that melancholy rap that I enjoy so much (in the vein of Dice Raw, to name one).  It has a subdued beauty to it, and I personally wouldn't have it any other way.  Keep doing what you're doing, Mr. Gibbs, and release an album ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment