Saturday 22 September 2012

Over It - Colin Munroe

Let's blend genres tonight, shall we?  If you've been following me for a while, you know that it's my bread and butter.  Genres can't exists exclusive to each other, there's bound to be some intermingling in the mix.  Tonight we encounter Canada's own Colin Munroe, who combines gritty pop with electro and soulful vocals.  Now that's how we get it done.  I'm planning to start downloading his Unsung Heroes mixtape as soon as this post is made, but in the meantime, I still have three of his tracks that are stellar on their own.  "The Fight of My Life" and "Invincible" borrow a few heavyweights (Pusha T, for god's sake!), but on his own in "Over It," Mr. Munroe manages genre-crossing just fine.

"Over It" is exactly what you think it's about.  Don't lie.  Had it been released a few months earlier, it probably would have made it onto my Somebody That I Used To Know Playlist.  Though Mr. Munroe's vocal style is minimal, you still hear the power in his croons of that's alright, I'm over it.  Better than some whiny T-Swift number if you ask me.  Colin Munroe is a homegrown pop act all grown up and doing us proud, relaying one important message.  I'm okay but I'm not the same.  Change is the force that drives us all, Mr. Munroe, and change for the better is simply the icing on the cake.  Props to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment