Sunday 23 September 2012

Smooth Criminal

I have a friend who tried for a long time in high school to get me into Michael Jackson, though my knowledge back then never extended beyond "Thriller" and "Billie Jean."  Enter our university years, when I make the four-hour trip to see her one weekend and she insists I burn the soundtrack for This Is It onto my computer.  And ladies and gentlemen, that's why I haven't stopped listening to MJ since.  Funny thing, I had the Alien Ant Farm version of his "Smooth Criminal" long before the original came my way.  I do hate to admit that; my rule is first-come-first-burned.  But there's something about "Smooth Criminal," the original, the AAF cover, and even the Glee cover, that gets the job done.

MJ's original synth-laden track is obviously the winner.  Listening along to Annie are you okay? I'm always compelled to start moonwalking through the apartment (even though I'm on the first floor, who cares if the whole street sees though?).  This is some slick shit, guys.  Anyone who denies that a Michael Jackson song has moved their body is a filthy liar.



Alien Ant Farm's cover is from a while back...2001.  Back then I was reading The Magazine Not For Adults and jamming to Macy Gray on the bus ride home.  But there's something about the frantic alt guitars that provides a fresh update (not needed, but I'll allow it), and vocals courtesy of lead Dryden Mitchell that retain MJ's vision for "Smooth Criminal."  I still think it's danceable, not as much as the original, but some of us can dance to anything.



Finally, there's the version of "Smooth Criminal" done by the cast of Glee, specifically Naya Rivera and Grant Gustin.  Here, we take out any sign of guitars and synths, and welcome the introduction of the cello.  Strings and Michael Jackson?  This is really it.  Yes, I know it's Glee, but they still make some decent covers on the odd rainy day.  Naya is also my fave.  Her voice don't quit, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment