Thursday 9 May 2013

Alanis Morissette - Precious Illusions

Ms. Morissette's Under Rug Swept was probably one the first fifteen or twenty CDs that I owned.  It came out in 2002, and I believe that I got it in my possession that summer after my tenth birthday.  The album was new territory for me.  Still a popper, her genre was something far different from Britney Spears and the like.  It still remains as one of my favourite albums, and I always find something new when I take that nostalgic listen.

I remember being my ten-year-old self and trying to write out the lyrics of "Precious Illusions" as the song played, listening closely to catch each syllable.  Thankfully it received radio play back then, and I could hear it in the car when the batteries in my Walkman died (ah, the dark ages before the ipod).  The song is bohemian pop, and Alanis explores the process of exploring oneself to find your next incarnation, partly through finding love.  Though I know who I'm not, I still don't know who I am.  Nostalgia may be 50% of the reason I love "Precious Illusions," but the execution takes the rest of the cake.  After all, part of the words encourage slightly hanging on to the past.  Why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment