Friday 17 May 2013

Kanye West - Heartless

Say what you want, but I say that 808s & Heartbreak is still Kanye's best album.  It's so experimental that it's just the way it is.  While he's working away on his next release now, I'm still reveling in nostalgia.  Years ago I was watching the "Heartless" video on Much Music and eagerly waiting for the chance to buy the album at Wal-Mart.  I was a glassy-eyed eleventh grader back then, slowly getting back into rap.  "Heartless" got me the same way "Welcome to Heartbreak" did.

"Heartless" has a little more pep in its step, but still makes good use of Autotune and retains some good rap flavor.  The verses are all Kanye rapping his heart out, and it really paints the picture of a scorned love story.  The lyrics?  Genius.  You got a new friend, well I got homies, but in the end it's still so lonely.  The chorus?  Soulful.  The background beats?  I've never heard better use of the piano and woodwind instruments.  There's a reason this is one of the bestselling singles of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment