Saturday 25 May 2013

Marina and the Diamonds - Mowgli's Road

Okay, so everyone loves Marina and the Diamonds right now, right?  Her new work is okay in my opinion, but I find more merit in her The Family Jewels era work.  That music shows a little more artistic flair, and it's also a little less generic pop.  Sorry (not sorry).  "Mowgli's Road" gets into my good graces because of how different it is from everything I've heard before (well, before 2010...when I got this track).  Fitting with the Mowgli theme, "Mowgli's Road" sounds like an adventure through the jungle, guided by Marina Diamandis (with a few screaming monkeys to boot).  Those pounding drums power the song, fueled by vocals that just won't quit.  Surprisingly, we get lyrics about breaking norms, shattering moulds and taking a road less travelled.  Dear Marina, forget the "Bubblegum Bitch" debacle and go back to your roots.  Keep us going down Mowgli's Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment