Friday 24 May 2013

Rush - The Trees

There has to be a rule somewhere that requires liking Rush if you're Canadian, and at least being able to appreciate them if you're not.  Really, can we find anything wrong with them?  My early memories of the band include my brother playing "A Passage To Bangkok" non-stop, but my favourite of their songs came to me ages ago via Rock Band 2 on the Wii.  Have you heard "The Trees?"  I sure hope so.  I could play it well on medium, and that was my accomplishment of 2010.

You can take the message of "The Trees" literally, or find something else from it.  Neil Peart wanted it to be literal, but you can kind of see worldly themes in a song about trees going to war with each other.  The instruments bring the words to life; this is the kind of tune that belongs in a magical forest that only exists in fantasy (or does it...?).  Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to watch I Love You, Man and fall in love with Rush all over again.

There is trouble in the forest.

1 comment:

  1. I'm old enough to have been listening to Rush since I was in high school in the late 1970's, and this song has always been a favorite. It's great to see it still has legs! (Or a trunk?)

    ReplyDelete