Wednesday 3 July 2013

Bob Marley - Buffalo Soldier

My roommates sometimes challenge my collection of music, and a few weeks ago, I was asked if I had anything from Jamaica.  Oh, what a question that was.  I'm getting into more reggae now than before, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Bob Marley.  His Legend was one of the first albums I ever bought, and I have never seen a collection of songs so consistent and stunning.  Honestly, if you only own one album, make it that one.

"Buffalo Soldier" is one that I'd sing along to with my sister and brother back in the day, mainly for the catchy lyrics and smooth island sound.  Mr. Marley tells the story of the Buffalo Soldiers, regiments of the US Army that were completely African-American.  The way he tells stories is magical, and while this one highlights achievements by the soldiers, there's also something sad about it.  Music this complex is what really transcends time, nearly thirty years after its recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment