Tuesday 30 July 2013

Lorde - Royals

Usually if there's enough hype over something, I'll get curious enough to check it out for myself.  It can be hit or miss, but I usually find things I like.  Case in point, people I follow on Tumblr have been mentioned Lorde quite a bit, so I decided to look into what this New Zealand native has to offer.  She's got two EPs out, and hopefully a studio album on the horizon.  I say hopefully because she's good.  Lorde is a subdued Marina & The Diamonds with a little bit of Fiona Apple, and her brand of pop is something I'm all about.

"Royals" is soft and delicate, but it's got something special to its simplicity.  There isn't so much instrumental work as there is little beats and claps, but it goes perfectly with Lorde's sweet vocal work.  "Royals" is subdued, sure, but it still has a rhythm that'll get your shoulders moving (like mine are right now).  After giving this a listen, I've been poking around for more and hoping that a debut album is headed our way.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment