Friday 26 July 2013

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

I've always been iffy about Muse, and I'm never too sure what I think about them.  Sometimes it's good, and sometimes all of their songs sound the same.  Oh well, what can you do about that?  Maybe the only thing Guitar Hero was useful for back in the day was getting me into their older work, and with good reason, because I always killed it playing "Knights of Cydonia."  It's another old gem I first heard on the alt radio station out of Detroit, and another song that has been following me around since.

What sets "Knights of Cydonia" apart from the rest of Muse's catalog is that it's so different from everything else I've heard from the band.  It's got a little bit of alt, a dash of prog, a nice dose of what I can only call space western rock, and most importantly, it all works together.  This is the song you'd listen to while riding a horse across the rings of Saturn.  I think of "Knights of Cydonia" as an updated "Conquest."  This is artwork.  Mr. Bellamy, if you didn't have a child with Kate Hudson, I'd be all over you.

No one's gonna take me alive,
The time has come to make things right
You and I must fight for our rights
You and I must fight to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment