Sunday 14 July 2013

Glee Cast - Jessie's Girl

The strangest thing has happened.  Yesterday, around 1 or so, I listened to Glee's cover of Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl."  You know, the one Cory Monteith covered.  Well, wouldn't you know it, at that time, all the way in Vancouver, he was found dead.  Even though I haven't watched Glee as much in its third and fourth seasons (I actually haven't watched any episode from season four), I respect the work that he did he for the show, and it's tragic that he was taken so young.  Whatever the cause of death, and whatever personal demons he had, no one deserves to die.

"Jessie's Girl" is from the second half of season one, where Rachel is romancing rival glee club member Jessie, and Cory Monteith's character sings the track in response.  I wouldn't be surprised if they named Jonathan Groff's character Jessie just so they could have this song, but hey, it worked.  Seventies and eighties rock are the genres that best suited Cory's vocal work, and by god, he was a modern-day Rick Springfield here.  Just as with all other artists who have come and gone, they live on through their music, and I'm damn happy to have as much Glee songs as I do now.



No comments:

Post a Comment