Wednesday 31 July 2013

Nirvana - Drain You

If there are a handful of albums that everyone should own, one of them definitely has to be Nirvana's Nevermind.  It's hard to go wrong with that one.  I got my copy the summer before I went into grade nine, and seven years later, it's still one of the gems of my collection.  Now, I could be predictable and feature something like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or even "Come As You Are," but one of my favourites has always been "Drain You."

"Drain You" is pure grunge, with Kurt Cobain's gritty vocals and guitars that just won't quit.  Oh, and I can't forget Dave Grohl on drums.  Now, it's not so grunge that your ears are going to bleed.  Think of it as a refreshing take on the genre.  It's an easy listen, though the song also has its complexities.  More than meets the eye, I'd say.  The bridge also brings a touch of whimsy, with otherworldly sounds on top of that hazy guitar.  Man, we've got a winner here, and if only Mr. Cobain was still around to make more things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment