Monday 8 July 2013

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

Earlier this year I went through the beginning stages of a Simon & Garfunkel obsession, which I've sort of been doing in reverse since I was a Paul Simon fan before this.  Oh well, at least I've got their essential collection in my hands now.  While all of their stuff is good (a rare thing to find, even with older music), nothing quite speaks to me like the somber words of "The Sound of Silence."

I think we've all heard hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again at one point in our lives.  I remember the first time, watching that old episode of The Simpsons that parodies The Graduate.  It still gets me, with delicate vocals, equally delicate guitar work that picks up into something sad-yet-rocking, and words that means more than anything you'll hear on the radio these days.  If Paul Simon could just sit in my room and play me acoustic guitar like this all day long, I'd be in heaven.  There's a reason this track is preserved in the Library of Congress, and for once, I agree with the American government on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment