Saturday 7 September 2013

Bastille - Pompeii

I take the free songs from itunes in stride every week.  Some are good, but I find that most are free with good reason.  Even so, the times where the good songs come are the times I look forward to the most.  The latest champion of a place where bad music is often found is Bastille, a group from London who sound like a more updated version of One Republic, and definitely more grown-up sounding.  High school me enjoyed One Republic, and university me likes this.  I almost bought their album the other day, and am still deciding if I should (along with Fall Out Boy's newest, but more on that later).  No matter, I've still got "Pompeii."

"Pompeii" has that lush choral feeling to it, while still being current alt-indie.  In one word, you could just describe it as beautiful, but we can go a little more in-depth than that.  You've got synths and instruments living harmoniously together, mixed with strong vocal work and backing choral work that gives "Pompeii" that lush feeling.  It's a track that snares you from the beginning because of its unsuspecting power, and hell, you kind of have to sing along, which may or may not be what I'm doing right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment