Tuesday 3 September 2013

Matthew and the Atlas - I Followed Fires

A few weeks ago, I found myself with a big heaping pile of folk music from Tumblr, where one blog I follow has created fanmixes for Games of Thrones, Lord of the Rings...things like that.  I can't remember which fanmix that "I Followed Fires" came from, but I remember that there was an instant bong when I first listened.  UK's Matthew and the Atlas, or known by his birth name of Matthew Hegarty, is for those who like Mumford & Sons, though he's got more of that English folk flavor to his music.  I don't think his debut album is out just yet, but as long as we've got "I Followed Fires," we'll be fine.

"I Followed Fires" has everything you love about folk music, and more!  Mr. Hegarty has a smoky americana voice that plays nicely with the guitars, fiddles and all of that other fun stuff.  He's the older brother that wanted to do his own thing and stay out of Mumford & Sons.  While I love their work, this seems more true-to-folk than what they do, and that's what I like about "I Followed Fires."  It's also hella accessible to those who may shy away from anything that sounds acoustic.  This makes me wish I hadn't quit playing the guitar eight years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment