Sunday 8 September 2013

Iwrestledabearonce - Boat Paddle

So lately I've been looking at some female-fronted-or-at-least-have-a-girl-in-the-band metal bands that are new to me, and next up on the docket is Iwrestledabearonce.  I've heard of them before, recently enough that I recognized the name when I first saw "Boat Paddle," but now I'm invested.  They recently replaced longtime lead singer Krysta Cameron, and on this track, Courney LaPlante is at the helm.  The change has sparked something with Youtube comments similar to the Tarja-Anette-Floor deal, but I'm impartial.  I've sampled both lead's work, and honestly, they don't sound too different from each other.  "Boat Paddle" is Courtney's way of saying hello world, here I am, I rock.

"Boat Paddle" is delicious metalcore, kind of like Dead and Divine with a healthy pinch of Protest The Hero, and Matt Tobin is replaced by his female counterpart.  That's it.  The clean vocal work is good (not stellar, but I can't complain either), the growling is amazing, and the rest of the band knows the way around their instruments and back again.  The guitar works is what reminds me of Protest The Hero, but with less mathy elements (at least, in this case).  "Boat Paddle" is, bottom line, powerful, and a reason why you shouldn't judge a genre before you find the good bits among the bad.  Now, excuse me while I see if HMV is carrying their new album...

No comments:

Post a Comment