Tuesday 10 September 2013

Kanye West - Can't Tell Me Nothing

I always go back to Kanye.  Come hell and high water, he's the solo rapper I will always revert to in a time of crisis (just don't make me pick between him and Swollen Members).  "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is off of Graduation, a part of his holy triumvirate along with The College Dropout and Late Registration, though that's not discounting the rest of this work either.  Timeline aside, Kanye was just as solid back then as he is now, though comparing things like "Can't Tell Me Nothing" to more recent tracks like "Black Skinhead" will show you how he's grown.  That's not to say this shit ain't tight.  "Can't Tell Me Nothing" is a good eff you track for those days when nothing is going right, and of all of his work, it's one of the Kanye songs that is stuck in my head most...and it's always la, la, la, la wait til I get my money right, la, la, la, la then you can't tell me nothing right.  It's just some good wholesome (maybe...) rap that makes you glad that Kanye gave up producing for performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment