Sunday 29 September 2013

Soilwork - Long Live The Misanthrope

I never get tired of any incarnation of melodic metal.  Melodic metalcore, melodic power metal, melodic death metal, melodic folk metal...it's all good to me.  Let's focus on the death side of the spectrum today, as we look at a band that I've been sitting on for a while (I wish), waiting for the right moment to reveal.  Soilwork is a Swedish band that has been around for a while now, but I only caught wind of their efforts in the last year or so.  Their work is never too death for me, and it's the melodic element that makes their work memorable and infectious.  Don't be scared if death metal has done you wrong in the past; there is hope for everyone to get heavier.

"Long Live The Misanthrope" is the Soilwork song that I've been listening to a lot lately.  The guitar work is superb, the gritty-growling-tinge-of-clean vocals are hard to compare to anyone else, and by god, this is just as heavy as I like my melodic death metal to be.  If I have to compare them to anyone, I'm thinking the melodic death counterpart of Slipknot...with some elements of another band I can't put my finger on in the chorus.  Whatever it is, Soilwork is prominent on my radar right now, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them a little better now...

No comments:

Post a Comment