Monday 9 September 2013

Fall Out Boy - The Phoenix

Okay, so here's the conundrum.  Fall Out Boy's latest effort, a little something called Save Rock and Roll has been out for a little while now, and I had decided much earlier in the year that it would be the first of their albums I would not be buying.  That was until I heard one of the singles, titled "The Phoenix" on the radio when I was driving around in my dad's truck last week.  As much as I didn't want to like it, trying to tell myself that I was past my Fall Out Boy phase, I realized that it might not even be a phase after all.  I fell in love with "The Phoenix" after one lesson...so now what?  Do I cave and buy the album, like we all knew I would all along?

Personal crisis aside, let's look at the song in question.  "The Phoenix" makes damn good use of Patrick Stump's pipes (better than anything in Folie A Deux, if you ask me, and he's gotten cuter), and he breathes new life into a band I thought had exhausted all of their efforts.  It's catchy, it makes good use of a string section, and for a brief moment in your life, you forget that Pete Wentz was ever a part of this wonderful thing.  This is the alternative Fall Out Boy I loved in Infinity on High, not any of that poppy stuff that came after.  If this is what Save Rock and Roll will be like...maybe I can give rock and roll a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment