Wednesday 11 September 2013

Three Days Grace - Wake Up

A very long time ago, before my parents had the internet, I discovered a lot of music through the radio.  Detroit used to have a really great alternative station, though I've either grown out of it or they just don't play anything good now.  One of the first rock/alt/metal songs I heard on the radio and fell in love with, a member of an elite group of albums and artists and songs that brought me into the tastes I've developed up until now, is "Wake Up" by Three Days Grace.  I'm not the biggest fan of the band; I like a song here and there, and One X has four good songs and the rest filler.  It's still hard to discount their gritty early work that gave me an early taste of what I love now, and that's why "Wake Up" brings me nostalgia.

"Wake Up" is a dark and gritty little thing.  There is scorn and hate in the words, and shreds of hope mixed in for good measure, and dammit, it's got its beauty.  The guitar work is almost soft in the beginning verses, but it develops into something more complex as we build a chorus rife with power.  Wake up, I'm pounding on the door, I'm not the man I was before, where the hell are you when I need you?  A song that may be simple upon first listen is always more complex that we all realize, and there's incredible depth to "Wake Up."  This is Three Days Grace at their absolute finest, and I know it'll still stick with me even longer from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment