Thursday 5 September 2013

Madchild - It Gets Better

I'm loyal enough to Swollen Members and everything that they spit out that obviously, I had to pick up Madchild's big solo effort, Lawn Mower Man.  All of his lovely aggressive words and rhymes are now in one convenient place, and damn, it's a solid piece of work.  He has a penchant for putting something raw, but refined, into everything he does, and this is no exception.  "It Gets Better" has a little more soul than the other tracks on the album, which is why it stands out to me.  It has a little old Kanye West flavor to it, with a choir in the back, female vocal accents (Sophia Danai), and a good rhythm to the rhymes, and that's what makes this one powerful.  No aggression needed.  Everyone has a soft side, but who knew Madchild's was just as strong, if not more?  This is where I like to see rap going these days, at the risk of sounding like some old maid, and Madchild and I are on the same page.  Trust me, it'll get better from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment