Tuesday 10 January 2012

Alexisonfire - .44 Caliber Love Letter

2011 was the year that I completed the current Alexisonfire discography with their self-titled debut (for only $5 at HMV...pretty impressive, I'd say).  I've said before in a previous post that they used to be my absolute favourite band.  The only band ever.  Alexisonfire is responsible for me becoming a proud metalhead.  Then a few things happened.  I grew out of this "metal" and went heavier.  The most recent Old Crows/Young Cardinals had a few gems, but was nothing too stellar.  After buying the self-titled debut, I was reminded why Watch Out! was the soundtrack to my '06, and why Crisis was the soundtrack to my '07.  Brilliance used to be the name of their game.

This is a .44 caliber blog post straight from my heart.

Beginning with about two minutes of lush, yawning guitars, ".44 Caliber" already shows that it's not just another post-hardcore song of the mid-2000's.  This is the way Alexisonfire should have done music all along.  George screams like the male equivalent of a banshee with no care in the word, and Dallas compliments him with vocals some artists should kill for.  They both wail with wondrous emotion, and you can't help but lean back in your chair and mumble "...wow."  Had this been the first of their songs that I heard, instead of "No Transitory" way back in the winter of 2005, I would have still fallen in love with screamo.  Maybe even more than I actually did.  Well, this is enough of me gushing about the music of yesteryear.  Maybe you should listen and agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment