Thursday 19 January 2012

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home + RAC Mix

This is only the second time I'm every featuring a song and its remix, but I only do it because I care, and because these are both fantastic songs in their own right.

This second occurrence is thanks to the always wonderful indie folk collective that is Edward Shapre & The Magnetic Zeros and their wondrous "Home."  The original is the finest indie folk you will ever hear; you might think it was recorded in the 70s at first listen, but I assure you that this was made quite later.  Such a throwback to the music of yesteryear might be one of the reasons that I love this song so much, though it could also be the lyrics, the conversational tone between vocalists, and the instruments.  Horns?  I'm always game for horns.

The Remix Artist Collective (RAC) has a penchant for amazing remixes of already great songs, but such a task is outdone in their mix of "Home."  It's less 70's folk here, though there's still a hint here and there. Whistling is an instrument now.  It just becomes a different kind of folky indie than it was in the original, and I can appreciate that.  The song is still about love, and knowing where home really is, wherever I'm with you.

Alabama, Arkansas
I do love my Ma and Pa
Not the way that I do love you
Holy moley, me oh my
You're the apple of my eye
Girl, I've never love no one like you



No comments:

Post a Comment