Thursday 26 January 2012

Corelia - The Sound of Glaciers Moving

Out of San Diego comes the unsigned Corelia, a progressive metal band that strangely reminds me of one of the greatest Canadian bands ever...Protest The Hero.  I'll let you be the judge about that one, but I can hear pangs of Rody Walker and company in the four-and-a-half-minute "The Sound Of Glaciers Moving."  This is classic prog metal here, but what sets Corelia from their Canadian counterparts is that they're a little less thrashy, and a touch more atmospheric.  Trust me, I wouldn't compare anyone to Protest The Hero if they weren't just as good.

Now, Ryan Devlin is fairly good at showing off his vocal prowess in "The Sound Of Glaciers Moving," alternating between growls and clean vocals...and I love it.  I'm particularly fond of the powerhouse verse:

I could not have known
I would end up down here
So alone, can't stay here any longer
I know.
Can't you see it in the dark?
I've grown so cold


Amazing.  This is how the prog metal genre should regain its fanbase, from those who deem it "the furthest from metal."  Please, if Amaranthe is metal, then Corelia sure as hell is (not that I have anything against Amaranthe...).  So give them a listen.  If not for the vocals, for the guitars that will shred your face off if you haven't listened to any Early Man in a while.

Why don't you like our Facebook page while you're at it? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fromalt2zen/212358558857243

No comments:

Post a Comment