Thursday 5 January 2012

The Limousines - Call Me Al (Paul Simon Cover)

San Fran's The Limousines know just how I like my indie...with an electro flavour.  And what is this I see?  A Paul Simon cover done in electro-indie style?  OMG.  Yes, that was my exact reaction when I came across the duo's interpretation of "You Can Call Me Al."  Who knew that an 80's rock song that is already quite impressive could become....this?

Aside: watch the original video of Paul Simon's version.  I'm in love.

Now, back to The Limousines!  Here the verses don't have that peppy 80's feel, instead echoing with the vocals and getting a hint of an atmospheric feel.  But don't fret!  The synths are back for the chorus as the tempo picks up for the duration of "Call Me Al."  The Limousines also kept the whistling that appears nearly two minutes in.  Now, this is how you cover a Paul Simon song, or any song for that matter.  Throw in some changes while still retaining the beauty of the original.  And what do you get?  Danceable electro-indie.  You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment