Wednesday 11 January 2012

Slipknot - Circle

If we are following the evolution of my love of metal (which we aren't, this is just a coincidence), then after my affair with Alexisonfire came a tryst with Slipknot.  Oh, that was a good year.  Now, people can say what they want about the band.  Like, maybe they're not really metal, or maybe Corey Taylor isn't as heavy as he thinks he is.  First of all, I've wanted to marry Mr. Taylor since my first listen to Vol. 3, which today's selection comes from.  As for the whole "metal or not" issue, I could really care less.  Just listen to the music.

Now, "Circle" is a little different from what you might think of when Slipknot comes to mind.  Acoustic?  Unheard of, but brilliant.  It's slowed down, stripped of everything you thought was, or wasn't metal, and this is what you get.  Corey Taylor, the acoustic guitar, a few pangs from the remainder of the string section, and what might be something profound.  After all, I like when bands are willing to deviate from what they're used to doing.  Taking risks was what Slipknot's third album was all about.  I leave you with the notion to take a risk by listening to "Circle," because it might grow on you, and the second verse of the song; my personal favourite.  And, as a former die hard fan, rest in peace Paul Dedrick Gray.

I know the way, but I falter
Can't be afraid of my patience
There's a sacred place Razel keeps safe
Follow me
I've seen so much, I'm blind again
Follow me
I feel so bad, I'm alive again
Follow me

No comments:

Post a Comment