Monday 2 January 2012

Tetrafusion - The Deserter

I have a new favourite new band.  Sorry, Nightwish!  Louisiana's Tetrafusion is slated for the release of their third album in 2012, but as of now, I'm enjoying 2010's Altered State.  Think of them as a cooler version of Tool.  While I do appreciate a good eight minutes of "Vicarious" or "The Pot," the thing about Tool is that I can only enjoy a few of their songs, and after a while everything sounds the same.  You will hear Tool when listening to some Tetrafusion songs, but there's something different here that sets them apart from their predecessors.  Maybe it's the fact that a song over 5 minutes never drags out (sorry, Tool, but it happens!).  Or maybe it's something wondrous that I can't quite put my finger on.

"The Deserter" is nearly seven minutes long, but is no diamond in the rough in Altered State.  Beginning the smoke is thick, I cannot see, there is no one left but me and lamenting I am both the lion and the lamb, you have a metal-y rock song that doesn't take itself too seriously.  "The Deserter" begins subdued, working to a climax that any fan can enjoy.  And the guitars?  I'm drooling again.  A good guitar always makes me drool, and the chords and notes struck here get me at every listen.  It might remind you of Tool, but I promise it'll be like nothing you've heard before (unless you're already a Tetrafusion fan, then you get a fist bump).  After all, isn't that my job here?

No comments:

Post a Comment