Wednesday 4 January 2012

Of Monsters And Men - Little Talks

It's been a while (I think) since itunes has featured a really good free English-language song choice.  The French options have been much better.  But not last week!  I was pleasantly surprised upon my first listen to "Little Talks" by Iceland's Of Monsters and Men.  This is what it sounds like when a song is alive.  You'll see why.

Let's combine all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Male vocals and complimenting female vocals, uplifting riffs, horns (thank god!), and a generous amount of lyrical genius.  That gives you the energetic "Little Talks," a conversation between two discussing worries and assurances.  I wouldn't call this one of those peppy jazzy numbers that will desensitize you to all horns and signs of energy.  No, this is done tastefully.  Quite tastefully, sir.  And it comes across as utterly beautiful.  Instant classic alert.  Miss this at your own risk as I leave you with the first verse:

I don't like walking around this old and empty house
So hold my hand, I'll walk with you my dear
The stairs creak as I sleep, it's keeping me awake
It's the house telling you to close your eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment