Tuesday 10 April 2012

Polica - Dark Star

Hailing from the wondrous land of Minnesota (I actually wouldn't mind dropping in on my way to Fargo, North Dakota) is Polica (sometimes stylized as POLIÇA, but how do you get that weird thing on the C?), and she brings some lovely indie pop with her.  And this indie pop is so lovely that "Dark Star," from the release Give You The Ghost, could quite possibly the best song I've heard in 2012 so far.  You're going to have to listen to it to get the full picture, but I'll try my best to convince you why it's a good choice.

"Dark Star" isn't your older sister's indie pop.  It's unique.  Daring.  And beautifully done.  Polica's vocals are the siren call of a mermaid; I hear something underwater-y in there.  Then there are the instruments.  The drums.  The piano.  The horns.  It's a up-tempo jazzy orchestra come to life and then thrown into the ocean.  This girl's onto something here.  Just do me a favor and listen for once, people of the internet, and listen to "Dark Star."  Some things can't be explained in two paragraphs.  This is one of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment