Wednesday 25 April 2012

Shout Out Louds - Very Loud

My first instance of delving into the indie-alternative genre came in the mid-2000s, when I purchased Shout Out Loud's Howl Howl Gaff Gaff.  My preteen self was a bit confused at first.  I was unsure of what I had gotten myself into, but I knew one thing.  I liked it.  I liked it a lot.  They're also Swedish too, so you know, that might have been the early signs of an obsession with the country that would develop further when The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo hit it big.  But that's beside the point.  Though I have a few of the band's newer tracks in my library as well, nothing beats the oldies that got me into indie.  And what could be the best of the best?

"Very Loud."

"Very Loud" is not a very loud song; don't worry there.  It's the way indie was done back in 2003, and it's the way it should still be done.  You've got the almost-folky guitars, clear vocals, and a chorus that will knock you socks off.  Little by little, you're gonna hear my cry, hear me cry "why?"  Why?  This is golden.  "Very Loud" is very good.  The Swedes were on to something back then.  Sure, the indie scene has changed.  Now every young kid with a guitar thinks they can produce their own record  Sorry, boys, but Howl Howl Gaff Gaff is a classic that will outlast your dismal careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment