Friday 27 April 2012

The White Stripes - Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)

I've been indifferent about The White Stripes for a long time, only finally coming to my senses recently when I got Get Behind Me, Satan from the library for a third time.  I'm a fan of the minimal style the album was performed in.  I'm not too sure what Jack and Meg White are up to these days, but they need to do something like this again.  It's an album of hidden treasures, in a nutshell, including the 35-second vocal track of Meg White ("Passive Manipulation"), but I'm never going to get over "Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)."

Beginning, I blew it, and if I knew what to do then I'd do it, Jack White breathes a sadness into "Forever For Her" almost immediately.  Then there's the piano, the slight pluck of an acoustic guitar, and the shaking of some sort of percussion instrument.  I always lament that the instrumental side of a song can be just as important as the vocals; here they meld into a perfect balance of music and word.  And can we really go against that?  No.  Jack White, you've done it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment