Friday 20 April 2012

Danny Elfman - What's This?

I'm a Danny Elfman fan.  Sue me.  He led The Simpsons through some great years and throws his own flavor into every movie in which he's in charge of the music.  And he can sing too?  Literally, what's this?  A man of many talents, I suppose, and his best contribution to the world of music is probably through the 90's film The Nightmare Before Christmas.  Call it a favourite of emo kids or whatever you want to, but it's a classic movie.  I do like when other artists cover songs from the motion picture (i.e. Fiona Apple, Amy Lee, Flyleaf, to name a few), but nothing beats the originals.  "What's This?" is pure imagination.

"What's This?" is Jack Skellington's response to his discovery of Christmas Town.  Yes, I know it's the middle of April right now, but the cheery wintery feeling in "What's This?" is getting me out of the exam funk.  It's less spooky Halloween, more fun and wonder.  What's this, what's this?  There's something very wrong.  What's this?  There's people singing songs.  Oh Danny, your singing voice can haunt my dreams any night.  He captures Jack perfectly; his confusion, his amazement, his thought process.  The Nightmare Before Christmas might be an emo fave, but the music will always be a Laura fave.

No comments:

Post a Comment