Saturday 26 May 2012

I Wanna Be Sedated (Ramones Cover) - Superhumanoids

I've been hearing a lot of good covers lately.  A lot.  And that makes it hard to pick one to throw into the lineup, though later on in the summer I intend to start listing off electropop covers as often as I can.  But I digress.  Enter Superhumanoids.  I'm a fan of the quartet's "Malta" and nearly every remix of it.  Now they're back, and with a pop cover of the Ramones classic "I Wanna Be Sedated."  Who knew punk could be dreamy?  I knew all along, of course.

Superhumanoids' "I Wanna Be Sedated" begins with breaths of the string section as those lovely pop vocals begin twenty twenty twenty-four hours ago, I wanna be sedated...  This is how you do a cover without sounding like you're doing a cover.  Though I usually condone keeping some flavor of the original, Superhumanoids rewrites history and causes the thought of the Ramones to momentarily slip from your mind.  Their cover is also super-eerie to have playing as the sky darkens with thunderclouds on a Saturday morning.  So why not listen before the clouds part?

No comments:

Post a Comment