Friday 18 May 2012

Kurt De La Rocha - BBU

I'm back to loving BBU, quite possibly the best group to come out of the rap genre since Swollen Members, and if I've said that in a previous post as well, it's because it's true.  All you have to do is listen, and then you'll know why.  They're only following their own rules.  Who else have you seen sample Nirvana and Rage Against The Machine in a rap song?  Just them, in "Kurt De La Rocha."

"Kurt De La Rocha" begins with the samples chopped up together, then the immortal Kurt Cobain over a few chords of the acoustic guitar.  But then BBU comes in and reminds you hey, this is a rap song, our rap song.  The song can be summed up in the nine words that grace the chorus over Kurt's voice: fuck you, I won't do what you tell me.  This is the kind of rap music that isn't entirely danceable, but is ideal for blasting over your car speakers while driving around in the summer.  If everyone in the car isn't shouting fuck you, I won't do what you tell me, then you all need to get out.  I've got my summer anthem right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment